Sunday, July 10, 2011

My favorite products to use while braced :)

For use before brushing: Crest 3D Mouth Wash: I just started using this... So the jury's still out on this...
crest-white-mouthwash.jpg
Photo credit: http://www.blendingbeautiful.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/crest-white-mouthwash.jpg 
But I love that it's alcohol free, due to previous gum problems I refuse to use any alcohol mouthwashes as I heard it can aggravate your gums... It may be a coincidence or a combination of better oral hygiene techniques... however since I stopped using alcohol mouth washes I have had healthy gums...  I know whitening products are controversial for brace wearers but when I tried using non-whitening products the first month my teeth started to look so dingy and i'd had them professionally cleaned pre braces and they were lovely and white so am hoping this product can help keep them whiteish and lighten the glue staining and keep the chains from getting discolored.

Sensodyne Gentle Whitening Tooth Paste: I've been a sensodyne convert since I got braces this definitely helps reduce the sensitivity and has fluoride in it too to keep teeth strong. I have the extreme sensitivity one too which has no whitening and alternate it with this one.
10004080.jpg

Photo credit: http://boots.scene7.com/is/image/Boots/10004080?wid=200&hei=200&op_sharpen=1
Gum Soft Picks: I use these between my teeth, especially if i'm in a hurry and haven't time to floss. I really like them as even when my teeth are sensitive these don't hurt. I also used these above my spacers, when I wasn't allowed to floss so as not to dislodge the spacers... I can't get them between all my teeth but they're great for those food traps. 


632RCSoftPicks_tn2.jpg
Photo credit: https://cart.jbutler.com/sc_images/products/632RCSoftPicks_tn2.jpg
Water Pik cordless water flosser, this the cheap water pik it was about $35 at Wal-Mart. It reminds me of the water tube dentists use. I use it pre flossing and prefer the gentle clean of the 2 heads... Although I only tried the deep clean setting for the first time yesterday so that may change. Definitely a great cleaning tool and one i'm going to continue using after braces.
water-pik-cordless-flosser-model-wp-360-1-ea_1077000_100.jpg
Photo credit: http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/01/46/water-pik-cordless-flosser-model-wp-360-1-ea_1077000_100.jpg
Flossing: In my opinion none of the threader flosses are as nice as regular floss such as glide deep clean, glide comfort floss etc. So at home I still use normal floss but with the bridge aid floss threader. My orthodontist gave me a pack of these in my sample bag and it's the easiest floss threader i've found - the angle is perfect for those back molars and even goes through tight spaces easily.
bridgeaid_5.jpg
Photo credit: http://www.jawproducts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/bridgeaid_5.jpg
When i'm at work I do use threader floss as although more expensive it's faster and the nicest one i've found is the glide threader floss:
glider floss.jpg
Photo credit: http://www.drugsupplystore.com/catalog/glider%20floss.jpg
Gum Stimulator - by Gum: I try and use this along my gum line at least once a day. It works great!
98939313-149x149-0-0_Butler+Butler+G+U+M+Gum+Stimulator+Step+3+1+stimul.jpg
Photo credit: 
http://di12.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/73/5b/62/98939313149x149-0-0_Butler+Butler+G+U+M+Gum+Stimulator+Step+3+1+stimul.jpg
 Regular mouth wash: Crest Pro Health Multi Protection Rinse Clear Mint: I love this mouth wash for every day use, the taste is refreshing and it makes my mouth feel clean, it's alcohol free and fights gingivitis. On the downside I wish Crest would find an alternative ingredient for the Cetylpyridinium Chloride ingredient in it that can cause staining. This ingredient seems to be common in alcohol free mouth washes: Act too. I have tried Listerine Zero which doesn't have it, but doesn't fight gingivitis (I don't think) also doesn't give that clean feeling. I also tried the Natural Dentist but wow the taste is so repulsive - never again! 

Clean-Mint-Varient.jpg

Photo credit: http://www.crestprohealth.com/images/mouth-rinse-comparison/Clean-Mint-Varient.jpg
Per my ortho's recommendation I use a fluoride rinse once a day this one by Act helps keep my teeth strong and doesn't taste bad either.
act-fluoride-rinse-mint_sm.jpg
Photo credit: http://www.dentist.net/images/act-fluoride-rinse-mint_sm.jpg
Wow this is a lot of products, i've become kind of obsessive in dental hygiene both in the months prepping for braces and now I have them. I really want to keep my teeth in the best condition possible to maximize my chances of success. 

Finally here's a none dental product I recommend for use while braced: 
Sugar Lip Treatment by Fresh. It's pricy yes, but I think any adult going through braces deserves it. It keeps your lips soft and conditioned and comes in a cute ceramic tube that even my dog cannot eat/damage. I have a pretty bad over bite and I found that lip gloss makes my top lips stick to the braces & forget anything tinted the color marks the clear brackets. I discovered this product 3 years ago when I was in Sephora and asked what lip treatment they recommended the guy in the store started going on & on about how he loved this product and the other staff chimed in. They were right it's really great. 
Fresh-Sugar-Lip-Treatment.jpg
Photo credit: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg2ai5KZ5DFLBya3PFOlaa2t_uWnK0FAL2iLO76NLBuFUeHaMbLeEzhTw2YKjuqRGqC041TSD7V2VLk7eDbJw1zU9dNnw_Jou1R1jZDQJD5KKgUZ4anvx4qV4LGLJHNQLm3Vk9C72eh7qzY/s320/Fresh-Sugar-Lip-Treatment.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment